FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) LEGO® League (FLL) is an exciting, fun, and global robotics and innovation program that ignites an enthusiasm for discovery, science, teamwork, and technology in kids ages 9 to 14 (16 outside of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico).
Students have the opportunity to solve real-world challenges by building LEGO-based robots to complete tasks on a thematic playing surface. FLL teams, guided by their imaginations and adult coaches, discover exciting career possibilities and, through the process, learn to make positive contributions to society.
Elementary and middle-school students get to:
- Design, build, and program robots using LEGO MINDSTORMS technology;
- Apply real-world math and science concepts;
- Research challenges facing today’s scientists;
- Learn critical thinking, team-building, and presentation skills; and,
- Participate in tournaments and celebrations.
- Coaches workshop: August
- Robot game challenge revealed: September
- Build season: October through December
- Regional qualifying tournaments: Early January
- Utah State Championship: Last Saturday in January
- World festival: Mid-April