Phone: (801) 587-3253
Fax: (801) 585-9826
Office: 2547 MEK
Lab: 1285 MEK
- Post-Doctoral researcher -Dec. 2011 -2012, Laboratory of Environmental Fluids Mechanics and Hydrology (EFLUM), École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, EPFL
- Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, Jan. 2007 – Nov. 2011, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, EPFL « Study of a fully developed Wind Turbine Array Boundary Layer » (Advisors : Marc B. Parlange and C. Meneveau)
- Doctor of Philosophy exchange student, Sept. 2007 – Sept. 2009, The Johns Hopkins University, JHU, Baltimore, USA
- Summer school in Parallel Programming, Swiss National Supercomputing Center, Aug. 2007
- Summer school on environmental dynamics: Pathways to ecological sustainability, Instituto Veneto di Scienze Lettere ed Arti, Venice, Italy, July 2007
- Degree in Physics (specialisation in Meteorology), Sept. 2000 – June 2006, University of Barcelona, UB, Spain
- Erasmus exchange student, Oct. 2004 – July 2005, at l’EPFL, Physics department
Jan. 2007- July 2011 Teaching Assistant at EPFL. Courses : Fluid Mechanics and Numerical Analysis. July 2005 – Sept. 2005 Internship at the Snow and Avalanche research institute, SLF, Davos (Switzerland). (Task : Development of a numerical code for the study of the snowpack temporal evolution). Dec. 1999 – Apr. 2004 Ski instructor at the Escola Poliesportiva de la Molina, Spain. (With professional trainning between 2000 and 2002).
- Atmospheric Sciences and Turbulence
- Fluid Mechanics
- Wind Farms Physics
- H. Huwald, J. S. Selker, S. W. Tyler, M. Calaf, N. C. van de Giesen and M. B. Parlange (201?). Carbon monoxide as a tracer of gas transport in snow and other natural porous media. Geophysical Research Letters, (Accepted).
- M. Calaf, M. B.Parlange and C. Meneveau (2011). Large Eddy Simulation study of scalar transport in fully developed wind-turbine array boundary layers. Physics of Fluids , 23 :126603, 2011.
- M. Calaf, C. Meneveau & M. Parlange (2011). Large Eddy Simulation study of a fully developed thermal windturbine array boundary layer. In Direct and Large-Eddy Simulation VIII, 425 ERCOFTAC Series 15, pp. 239-244 (H. Kuerten et al., eds., DOI 10.1007/978-94-007-2482-2 38).
- M. Calaf, C. Meneveau and J. Meyers (2010). Large Eddy Simulation study of a fully developed wind-turbine array boundary layers. Physics of Fluids, 22:015110, 1-16, 2010.